COURSE DESCRIPTION (The Gospel – NT001)
The four gospels are key books of the Bible, since they narrate the life, teachings, death, and resurrection of Jesus. Each gospel has a unique perspective and a unique purpose. This course explains the background, the structure, the main contents, and the major themes of each gospel. It is based on the lecture series, The Gospels, produced by Third Millennium Ministries and hosted by Dr. Pete Alwinson with contributions from a variety of international scholars. THEOn makes this course available for you to study together with fellow students.
In this course, we would like to accomplish the following:
1. We hope you will learn the key information about the background, the contents, and the major themes of each of the gospels.
2. We hope you grow in your desire to know Jesus better and follow Him more faithfully, as you study the gospels.
3. We hope that you will apply to your own life the lessons learned as you study the four gospels especially that you come to know Jesus better and follow Him more faithfully.
When you have done the following, it will show that the goals are met:
1.Obtain satisfactory grades on the automatically graded elements of the course, demonstrating that you can: a) identify key information about the background of each of the four gospels, including their author, the audience, the date of composition, and the purpose, b) identify the structure and key contents of each of the four gospels, and c) identify the major themes of each of the four gospels.
2. Complete all the questionnaires and answer all the application questions in the study guides, expressing your sentiments toward Jesus, and showing how you have applied the teachings of the course to your own life, especially how the course has helped you know Jesus better and follow Him more faithfully.
THEMATIC OUTLINE OF THE COURSE
1. Introduction to the Gospels
2. The Gospel of Matthew
3. The Gospel of Mark
4. The Gospel of Luke
5. The Gospel of John
1. Watch all the video lectures of each lesson (or listen to the audio, or read the text version). These lectures are the main content of the course.
2. Complete the study guide for each section of the videos. These study guides help you discover what is important in the videos, and they prepare you for the quiz. If you answer all the questions in the study guide, you should do well on the quiz.
3. Take the Quiz on each section of the videos. Complete all the quizzes for each lesson.
4. Read the prescribed pages for each lesson from John Gresham Machen, The Literature and History of New Testament Times.
5. After reading the prescribed pages for each lesson, attempt the Reading Quiz for that lesson.
6. Participate in the Discussion Forum by making a initial post of 200 words in response to the question given and then respond in about 100 words to at least two other posts.
7. Write a Reflection Summary in 500 words for each lesson and submit before the end of the lesson.
Dr. Joshua Iyadurai, PhD
Dr Joshua is a Theological Educator and a Specialist in Religious Conversion and Spiritual/Religious Experience. He is an expert in Research Methodology, especially Qualitative research. He is a sought after Teacher, Writer, Editor and Researcher. He oversees many research projects and guides students with their research proposals. He enjoys expository preaching and can communicate well in both spoken and written forms. He has a Bachelor of Divinity from UBS, Pune and a PhD from University of Madras. He has done his post doctoral work from Global Research Institute, Fuller Theological Seminary, USA. For the purpose of this course, he can be contacted via email on email@example.com
Mr. Julian Charles
Julian is involved in Pastoral Ministry and Theological training. He is passionate about training people for effective ministry in their own local contexts. He serves as an online faculty for SAIACS, Bangalore and the e-learning coordinator for THEOn. Julian has a Master of Technology (I.T) degree from RMIT University, Melbourne, a Graduate Diploma of Divinity from Melbourne School of Divinity and a Master of Divinity (Missiology) from SAIACS. For the purpose of this course, Julian can be contacted directly via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Curriculum is empty